1. Eloise front and side view before being abducted.
2. Post abduction Eloise, the costume evolved quite a bit from this point. In the final design I definitely took some cues from Prometheus, but I’ve always like the work of H.R. Giger.
3. First sketches of the Nebo Ljudi. I was going for a sort-of insect look. I also wanted to have the spine attached at the front of the head. The final design also featured a clear dome at the top of the head, with some sort of pheromone producing organ below,
4. This view really helps to show the fluid nature of the limbs, the idea is that they are boneless muscular tentacle type limbs. Although the spine is all wrong, it looks too much like a trunk.
Questions and comments are always welcome. And I’m always looking for next thing to draw so any suggestions are also encouraged!
“The history of advanced races meeting more primitive people on this planet is not very happy, and they were the same species. I think we should keep our heads low” ~Stephen Hawking
Eloise Sharpe stared blankly at a fly slowly circling the dull green fluorescent bulbs of the convenience store she was lucky enough to be night shift manager of. The hum of the lights was deafening. Her co-worker, Paresh was dividing his time between mopping up fountain drink syrup and staring at Eloise’s cleavage. The Friday night bar rush had passed and the slow crawl from three AM to seven had begun. (more…)
Some of my initial sketches of Fi’ing
1. Profile view of the night vision eye exposed without cover. The crosshatched section is where the eye cover attaches.
2. Profile view of eye cover and tusk. The idea is that the eye cover would open and the primary eye would close simultaneously.
3. Extra finger that folds into the wrist. The concept was to have a venomous claw what could be used in close combat. The idea was abandoned.
4. Front view rough sketch of bone and muscle structure. Most notable is the wide set hips and long lanky arms. This view also shows a side view of the abandoned venomous claw.
Two centuries ago the Taa’Rukc race were on the verge of venturing off of their planet of Vallen and out into the wilds of space. Their cunning and strength would have garnered them a powerful position in the galactic melting pot.
The Klamat, an alien race whose home planet shared the same system as Vallen, had monitored the Taa’Rukc since their first sub-orbital space flights. The progress was moving rapidly, but withou warning the great “Descent” occurred. The Klamat were master strategists and scientists, they worshiped logic and would even strategize centuries in advance. They would even “Adjust” events to better future generations of the Klamat based on their projections. The impending progress of the Taa’Rukc showed an unfavorable outcome for the Klamat in their projections. (more…)
This character seems firmly rooted in a Universe where aliens of all kinds have set forth into vastness of space. In such a Universe paths must have crossed, colonies formed, alliances made and broken. She would be comfortable in the bustling corridors and alleyways of the markets on a planetary Transportation hub. A meeting place for aliens of all kinds, some to find work. legitimate or otherwise. Some to set up shop a peddle their wares to unsuspecting humans (at an impressive mark-up.) A chaotic, claustrophobic village of sorts, and often very dangerous. A transient place always moving and changing, but oddly familiar at times.
You push through a tight corridor through crowds so dense all you can smell is hot breath… or at least you hope it’s breath. Some alien races smell like vomit at the best of times. The eight armed octopus-looking guy’s shop to the right is full of… lets say “Meat” that is also contributing to the bouquet of the marketplace. But as you exit the mass into an open area, what’s this? A shop run by a human couple…and they even speak English. They are selling cinnamon and nutmeg, and a myriad of other spices. Your olfactory center sends you right back to earth…Starbucks. Sadly this moment is short-lived as you feel something brush up against you. As you turn to look all you see is a slender purple-skinned female walking casually into the crowd. nice legs on her… but your wallet is gone.
This character is the type that thrives in a crowd. she is always getting herself into trouble of one form or another. A gypsy traveling from planet to planet, living to experience as much of the universe as she can.
When I was drawing this one the right arm was a bit bulky so turned it into a Tool…Weapon…Thing. It looks a bit like a taser on crack, But it’s actually a Kinetic Arc, an energy field that enhances the wearers physical hits, basically giving them a super punch, while absorbing the equal and opposite reaction of such a punch. The Arc can also be used in a similar fashion to a zip line by hooking to overhead cables and cords. A valuable tool for an alien pick-pocket in a place that encourages you leave your guns in you spacecraft.
This one is based on a fictitious video game for a kids book I am illustrating, The idea for the game in the book is a cute little alien that helps clean up the environment. Then I thought aliens can’t all be benevolent scientists… who cleans up after the benevolent scientists… Garbage Men…Well Garbage Aliens. I don’t like smoking at all, but it adds a lot to the picture.
This E.T. is a working class guy, and enjoys the simple things, like a smoke after his shift, or the occasional probing.
This is the quick sketch that inspired the picture above…It’s a bit more cutesy than my usual stuff.